Writing & Speaking Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Writing & Speaking Forums

Share your English test preparation efforts and strategies online!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Free iBT independent writing task submission

Go down 
+20
phantom
icandoit
rami_82
minashm
Mira
minhanh
tomoko73
gaby0501
Riaz
Abu Noor-Eddin
kmacko
shan
khyatidave
rss
pumas007
banunya
sudeepa
Dean
Yannick
Jason
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
annie

Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Kindly give me feedback on my essay. Thank you   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 7:13 am

Subject: Everyone has a choice.(timed task) Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:02 am

There may be different reasons why some people are doing things which they are not definitely enjoyed. Perhaps, it is something that is imposed on them to do. An example of this is the parent-child relationship. Some parents are domineering when it comes to choosing a career path for their children. Some even use blackmailing like they will withdraw support on their children's education if they do not obey. Usually the interests of both parents and children are not the same. In this situation, there are students taking courses which are not within their likes just to follow their parents.

Personally, I do not agree in doing things just because one is being forced to do so. Everyone has a choice. Doing something you enjoy brings joys and happiness. Furthermore, if one is happy, it will affect the person's outlook on life, which is being optimistic. There is a greater chance of excellence if the person has positive outlook and loves what he is doing. There is a proven study that students who excel during college are the one who are enrolled on the courses which they are enjoying. In addition, there is also a great improvement on them as a person as a whole specifically in terms of mental, emotional and social aspects. They are more mature in handling problems and in decision-makings. In terms of social aspect, they can interact with different kinds people from varied backgrounds.

In a nutshell, one should do things within his interest so that he would be a happy, fulfilled and healthy person.
Back to top Go down
Narmada

PostSubject: Response   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 9:15 am

I agree with the point that some times people should do something which they do not enjoy because of the positive results they get. I support my opinion in this way....

The things which we don't enjoy while doing will get positive or good results. We got used to doing so from our childhood. When we were small we dislike going to school as we are much more interested in playing. Going to school forcefully can build up our carreer to have a great future. We experience it now.

We don't like to do somethings due to lack of confidence. We are worried to do it because we are not sure of doing it successfully. We never know whether we will be successful or not until we try it. Once we start doing it, we can make sure of the result. So, I quote that sometimes doing which we don't like doing things can build up our confidence.

Doing some thing you don't like to do can make others feel happy. Giving happiness to others is a great art. It gives you self satisfaction even they you don't like to do it. May be the thing you do will be more beneficial to others rather than you. So, some times you can learn sacrificing something for the happiness of others.
Back to top Go down
banunya

PostSubject: To do or not ot do   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Life is not perfect. There are a lot of things people don’t like to do. In this case some of them are trying to make somebody else to do it or don’t do it at all. I believe that every person should sometimes do things that he or she doesn’t enjoy doing. In this essay I’ll explain why I think so by giving few reasons to support my opinion.
First, when people do something they don’t like they force themselves. By doing this they train themselves to rich a goal. If a person can push him or herself to do something he or she don’t enjoy, it means that nothing can stop him or her. It will definitely help them in their future to become successful.
Furthermore, doing something unpleasant teaches people to become patient. Nobody forces anybody to do something right away. People can finish doing something even if they do it little by little. The main point is that they must finish what they started.
Finally, some people don’t like to do something only because they had never tried and it seems hard and boring to do it. For example, some people hate to clean their apartment. However, if they turn on music or ask somebody to help them it can be a lot of fun and people might really enjoy it.
Those are few reasons why I think people should sometimes do things they don’t enjoy doing.
Back to top Go down
Carmen

PostSubject: Please, score my response, thank you very much   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Well, actually, I’m not agree with this statement, but I can recognize that it’s not about that we want or not, LIFE IS NOT EASY. First of all, I think that people always must enjoy everything that they do, LIFE IS COMPLICATED, in these days, in this contemporary world (wars, illness, fears,) people life with a lot of stress, very fast, unhappy, and sometimes we would want the day could be for more than 24 hours.

I know that sometimes we have to do things that we don’t like, for example, sometimes we have a job that we are not enjoying, or we have feelings that we don’t share with our families, (ie: husband, mather, father, boyfriend, brothers and sister, etc.) and these feelings are very stressful, however, sometimes we are not capable that recognize our mistakes neither, because of like human beings we have virtues, but we made a lot of mistakes also.

I support my answer in that. As a matter of fact, no one live more than 100 years (well, there is little exception). As a result, I think that we must enjoy our short lives, … SMILE, DANCE, TALK, TO BE VERY RESPECTFUL ABOUT OUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, PARTNERS, and ANOTHER ENJOYABLE THINGS. Finally, we can say YES, we love life, we love every single time in this world. Probably YOU ARE AGREE WITH ME.

Thanks a lot
Back to top Go down
khyati

PostSubject: Sometimes you have to do you don't want to.   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Many instances comes in our way of life that we have to do something that actually we don't want to do.I totally agree with it. In everybody's life , one day this situation comes.

In my life,I have faced many situations like that. On other side of the coin I believe that we should not do any such things that we don't enjoy.You should have your choice. But, sometimes, if we don't enjoy our task and somebody is being happy with that we should do it.

One day my grandparents told me that they are going for temple and they want me to go with them. On the same day, me and my friends decided to go tosee a movie. So, I was very confused that what should I do? Wheather i should go with my grandparents or my friends. Than I looked at my grandparent's eyes they were full of hopes and they were in need of me. I decided to go with them. Although I knew that I am not going to enjoy there as with my friends. But seriously once I went them I enjoyed with them.

My semester's result was declaired and somehow I couldn't able to make it well I got very low grade than what I expected. My best friend got highest grade. To celebrate it he organized the party and the worst part is she invited to me also. Although I was in that mood to enjoy the party still I went there to celebrate my best friend's success. My friend was aware of my situation so, he didn't force me to come but I want to be a part of her success as she gave me support in each and every path of my way.

What I believe personally that if because of you someone is getting happiness, fun and sometimes to keep other person's respect you should do what you don't enjoy. That is a part of life!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Alia

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Yes , I agree with the statement above , people should sometimes do things that they don’t enjoy. There are a lot of things which should be done but aren’t that fun , while some of them are of no use others are helpful and beneficial which should be done. I believe that in order to live a comfortable regret free life one has to put effort and do things that aren’t so fun but are beneficial for themselves and others. Non-enjoyable things lead to a bright future, comfortable life and also provide other gains.

For example , people don’t usually enjoy studying, and it is considered as one the most common thing people would love to avoid. However, if effort is been put to have a stable academic position, those efforts will help a person gain confidence about themselves and life. Studies help shape a bright future.

Also, work is something a lot of people find unwelcoming. It is also considered as one of the most not-so-enjoyable things to do. But work allows one to have some skills and practice, while its ultra boring it helps people gain social skills that help them communicate effectively and most importantly it provides financial support , without which one in this world cannot survive.

Furthermore, one always loves to have everything by themselves. Helping the poor, disabled are things which are hard to do , considering one has to put effort which they really aren’t required to do . But these things make us more human and also result in receiving blessings and a good reputation. These small things which require effort can result in a beautiful change in someone’s life. Also, providing others with happiness is a virtue that God and people value.

Therefore, I think that one should do things which aren’t so welcoming and enjoyable once in a while, because the outcome is usually beneficial for not only ourselves but also for others.
Back to top Go down
Francesc

PostSubject: People should sometimes do things that they dont enjoydoing   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 5:24 am

It happens to everyone to be obliged to do something he/she is not particularly keen on or he/she totally dislike. However in life we cannot always do things we love. There are responsabilities, previous commitments or necessary things that has to be done and cannot be postponed all the time.

For instance, only very few students, specially when in young age, like going to school. They hate waking up early in the morning and being obliged to listen and pay attention to boring professors on topics that are not of their interest. Out of school, they try to study as less as possible, since they prefer playing football or tennis or do other activities. But they have to continue studying even though they do not enjoy it because the sacrifice they do while studying will definitely pay them back in the future.

Even when you are a university student and you have the possibility to choose among many subjects most of the people have to make a compromise between what the like more and what is the market demand. A friend of mine who studied what he liked more at university, philosophy, is now in great panic because he cannot find a job in his field of study. He will probably end up doing something he does not like to earn the money to live.

Even though everyone should try to be happy and do the things he/she likes more we have to be aware also that there are also activities that have to be done even if we do not want to.
Back to top Go down
paka

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 4:41 am

I agree with the statement "People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoying doing". Four main reasons convince me that this is right.
First, only by doing things which you do not enjoy, you can appreciate the things, that enjoy. When you always do the things that make you feeld good, it becomes boring and nothing special. For example when you spend two months in the holidays for working in order to make a trip the next holidays. You would appreciate that trip more that if it was presented to you.
Second, if you always do what you want you may disturb other people. For example I have roommates. I hate cleaning the kitchen or the bathroom, but I have to when it's my turn, because the others do the same. If nobody woud do this because it is not enjoayable it would become dirty and nobody wants that. If I would decline cleaning the rooms the others would be disturbed.
Third, most people are dependent financially to their workplace. There is many work that do not enjoy but it has to be done. And these people have to work in order to have enough money to live.
Fourth, if you want to develope yourself further you have to be disziplined and that includes not only doing things that enjoy. You just attain your goals when you work hard. When you learn for a test and your goal is to pass the test best possible. You cant go out for party the nights before the test, even so it would be nice to you.
So in conclusion, in my opinion people should absolutely sometimes do things that might be not nice to them, but it is necessary in many cases as I showed above.
Back to top Go down
atecath

PostSubject: wr-2   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 2:12 am

People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing.

I agree with the statement that people should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy. Just take note of the word "sometimes".

I think it is inevitable that sometimes we have to do things that we do not particularly enjoy because we do not hurt the feelings of someone dear to us. For example, I do not enjoy going to the mall and shopping but when my sixty year-old mom ask me to accompany her, I can't refuse.

Secondly, sometimes people have to do a thing that he do not enjoy because it is necessary. I don't like driving in the city during rush hour but I have to drop off and pick up my children in school. Their school is located at the heart of the city.

And lastly, in times of emergencies we have the get out of our comfort zones and do unspeakable task to save the life of another or to go an extra mile to help others. Sacrifice is a virtue. It makes a better person out of us. Nobody enjoys going to the hospital or go out of our way to help a stranger get to her home. But doing things we do not want have their own reward. We can sleep peacefully at night knowing we have helped another person even in small way.

So, what is doing we do not enjoy "sometimes" if this will bring a smile in someone's lips. Afterall, we have 80% of our lives doing what we really enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Karina

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 1:33 pm

Guys you are great !!!
Thank you a lot for spending your precious time for developing and mentaining this site. I appreciate a lot the feed-back notes on learner's writing and listening tests.
You are doing a tremandous job. You are a big helper for everybody who prepares for TOEFL or even imptoves english speaking and writing skills.
Back to top Go down
debbi

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 10:25 am

I strongly agree with the statement because I think people must even always do things that they don’t like to do. This opinion can be support by several examples.
We can start by stating that everyone in his/her life is forced up to confront with a very wide range of problems, that might arise in every moment and every place. They always comes unexpected. They grew spontaneously. And once arrived, they upset everything. Nothing is in its place anymore. They comes and scramble everything. And often this is only the beginning. Or isn’t it??
It depends on how we use to define a problem. On how we use to define the framework in which a problem is placed. Because a problem might be seen as it, but can also be seen as a precious occasion of growth. Problems arise everyday and they always put everyone on a proof. But they can also be precious in the sense that they might turn bad situations into occasions of growth ; in which someone can test and proof his/her ability to find the most suitable solution for each question and problem.
So it’s simple at this point to state that people might do things that the don’t enjoy doing. Because if we have to face up all the things and the problems described above we must do this, even if we don’t like.
Back to top Go down
chiara

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 10:28 am

Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible. Other young adults prefer to live with their families for a longer time. Which of these situations do you think is better ? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

There might be several reasons to think willing independence from the family and from the house, where a son or a daughter lives with parents, would be a good thing; probably the best thing. It probably would seem the best at a first look. But is it really so?? Or does it only seem??
Of course, it depends on a lot of factors. First of all, it depends from the relationship existing between young adults and parents, with whom they live together. Because the quality of relation is the most important thing to consider if we want to talk about this topic. In fact, if parents and daughters, or sons, get along with each other without problems; young adults will be less encouraged to leave their home. Also because living home permit avoiding face-up all the problem that might arise in an independence life. So this is only the first of the factors that obstacle the entering of young adults into the real life and into the real world.
Secondly, we can observe that often young adults cannot have enough resources both economic and related to personal experience, to decide to live apart from home, even if they would like to do.
There is in fact another important aspect to mention, it regards the professional situation that often young adults are forced up to face entering job world. In my country for example it is very hard for young people who want to live alone, can find a job which permit to support themselves without asking help to someone. So it’s simple and fast to observe that even if a young adults would want to live in his/her independence from home, that might be very hard to conciliate with the real state of things.
Back to top Go down
Robert D

PostSubject: Do right things   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 10:08 pm

I agree that people sometimes need to do things that they don't like. I believe the motive behind is that is the right thing to do.People do things they don't like for themselves or others.There are 2 examples given to each scenario.

The First example relates to peopel need to do things they don't like for their own benifits. You may know that some students here in China hate English lesson. They don't like the way their English teacher is teaching, nor how English is examinated here in China. However, these are not good reasons to give up. English is a world language that helps open many doors for youngth. To my opinion, students should give up complaining and look for scientific ways of practice. If they can stick to English study even it is not easy or exciting at the early stage, i bet they will be compensated well in his/her education and career roads.

The second example here will show you how boring things you do could help others. For some people, blood donation is a scaring thing to do. They are afraid of needle even they are healthy enough to donate blood. I think sometimes these healthy guys need to overcome fear and try to help the society in this meaningful way. If they never try, they never understand the happiness of donator.

All in all, there are many RIGHT things we need to do even if they may not interest you at the beginning.
Back to top Go down
Tobi

PostSubject: People Should Sometimes do Things they do not enjoy Doing   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 8:55 am

I disagree with the statement the people should sometimesdo things they do not enjoy doing.
The reason why i disagree is because it can lead to and unhealthy environment. For example if i am forced to work in someplace that i do not want to work, it can have a negative influence on the job i am doing and on my co workers. i can be moody and spiteful of everyone around me.
Another reason is that it leads to undiscovered talent. If pele had been forced to work as a fisherman or a doctor he would not have been the greatest Football player in history. if people were forced to do things they do not enjoy doing, it discourages initiatives. A lot of the modern inventions, such as electricity, cars, computer et, were discovered because those who invented them took pleasure in what they were doing and therefore, their talent for it developed.
If people kept doing what they did not enjoy doing it could actually lead to living an unhealthy life. Every where they go they become Agreessive, filled with hatred, and are always angry. These people are most likely to become alcoholic but not all tend to drink.
If people did what they enjoy doing, it actually makes them feel like they have accomplished something. It gives them a sense of fulfillment.
Back to top Go down
annflo

PostSubject: mikael   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 1:28 pm

People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing

When I was a kid it was always a hard task for my parents to force or persuade me do things that I didn't want to do. But when I grew up I realized that there are plenty of things we are obligated to perform to succeed in our education or in our career.

I am absolutely convinced that even though it is disstressing and sometimes really annoying, but we have to have more patience and be more flexible to do things we do not ejoy at all.

For example, it is really annoying for me to deal with my messy roommate.She is the sloppiest person ever , and it is almost impossible to make her keep our apartment clean. Nevertheless I try to deal with it beacuse she is a really good and kind person and always ready to help me.

The other thing is my part time job which is very stressful . I have to deal with lots of numbers and there's a huge responsibility on me in order not to  make any mistakes, otherwise I can lose my job. But I belong to those kind of persons who think positively, if for instance I be stubborn, lazy and ignorant I will first of all lose my job, then fail my exams and eventually become loser, which I don't want to be in any case.

People , in my opinion in this dynamic and "dog eat dog '' world do not have that luxury opportuity to do whatever they want to do. Most of us are realistic when we look at our life, we cannot let ourselves reach to the point when because of our laziness or bulkiness we will lose everything we have earned during our life.

To conclude, I just want to point out that only diligence and flexibilty make quality,thus sometimes people should study or work hard on their hated jobs to make a really good and fortunate future for their children so they can get a decent education and just be happy.

Back to top Go down
Carmen

PostSubject: Please, score my response, thank you very much   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 6:41 pm

CARRIYNG CAPACITY

The main hypothesis in both, reading passage and listening lecture is about of the understanding of the concept CARRIYNG CAPACITY.

In this issue, the speaker complemented the concept explained in the reader passage. The listening lecture gave a great example about the wolves and rabbit populations. The speaker said that twenty (20) years ago the rabbit population was massive in comparison to the wolves. This was the reason the wolves moved back into the forest. The listening lecture exposes that when the rabbits became a great resource of food for the wolves their population grew. So this statement justified the concept of carrying capacity and how the wolves would have the resources that they needed to grow. This theory complements the reading passage.

The speaker also said that after ten (10) years, the rabbit population was low and the wolf population dropped. Then after five (5) additional years, the wolf population again increased. This explains how the forest increased and decreased its carrying capacity depending on environmental conditions.
Back to top Go down
Mina R

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 12:38 am

People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing

Always people like to do works that they are inetersted in however in some cases people have to do things that they don't enjoy. That people have to do things that are not intersted in has specific reasons which are described in the followings.

In a partiular case, someone find her/his favourable job in a company but he is not intersed in to go out or eat launch with other employees. He have to do this and have a good behaviour or relations with others if he wants to work in that company. Human have social life and have to contact with others therefore they cannot limit their relations becuase they don't like others.

Another good example that shows people sometimes do things that they don't like is when someone falls in love. It has happaned when someone falls in love he/she do the things that really doesn't intersted in but do it to satisfy the person who loves. For instance, when the person who loves inivite her to go to see football matche, she accepts it inspite of she never enjoys football match. She has to do it to show that she loves him.

As people live in society and have social life have to do some things that they don't like. Because society condintions never can change based on everyone ideas and thoughts therefore people should adapt themselves with these conditons and do things that they are not intersted in.
Back to top Go down
Cony

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 2:45 pm

At least once, we have all heard that our live depend on our actions. What we decide to do or not to do determine our future. But, always those actions have to like us? In my opinion, people should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing. My arguments for this point of view are listed as follows.

First of all, our actions should depends on what we obtain by doing it and not only if we enjoy doing it. Sometimes, we must do some things because we need to or because the consequences make worth it. For example, if you would like to be a doctor you should go to Medical School. Maybe, some of the courses will not like you, but you have to do them anyway because you will get more pleasure from becoming a professional doctor.

Secondly, trying new things can help us to develop as an entire human being. At first, something can not look pleasant or fun, but once we try it, this activity begins to like us and improves us in some aspect. For instance, let us suppose that we have never played tennis or any sport. At first, we are not willing to try it, but we do and start to likes us. Then, we begin to practice tennis every weekend. Therefore, that activity helps us to improve our health and permits us to develop in a new facet.

In third place, doing things that we do not enjoy can facilitate to appreciate more the things that we normally do. As an illustration, let us think in a person that has always done the same job. He is bored of doing it and, suddenly, his boss gives him another labor. He did not like this new activity. Therefore, when he returns to his usually job he feels glad and grateful.

To sum up, it is really important for our life to choose what to do or not. This decision should not be only take it considering what is pleasurable for us and what is not. There are many reasons why sometimes we should do things that we not enjoy doing it.
Back to top Go down
gaujitej

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 11:07 pm

People should sometimes do what they do not enjoy doing .This statement is absolutely true.
Let us take the example of a worker working in an private firm .The worker has to follow the instructions of his boss though he sometimes does not enjoy doing the job entrusted to him, this is compulsary. Sometimes we should do things we do not enjoy doinf for the sake of our family members because such small comprimises makes a relationship healthier, else small issues may turn out to become a big issue leading to broken relationships.
Another example of why we should sometimes do things that we do not enjoy for our friends.By doing such small acts we strenghtn our relationship with them. Even for the sake of our future we can comprimise and do things we do not like .
In the end i would like to conclude that sometimes doing things we do not like is also benificial
Back to top Go down
Fabio

PostSubject: writing test1 essay   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Sometimes people should do things that they do not enjoy doing. I agree with this statement because people are always forced to do things they would not appreciate doing in several fields, for example in the work, social and government burocracy.
Nowadays there is a high competition in the world of the work or business. Some companies require a lot of skills from the candidates who apply for a job. These requirements asked by the companies are associated to the several different tasks who employees should develop inside an specific company. Most of these tasks required are not enjoyed to have developed by the employees, but they should be do to become competitive in the business scenary.
As the bussiness world, social features obligatte most of people to frequent meetings, places and occasions that are not desired by the majority. For example, by influence of a boss, someone should go to with him to his church celebration or some club that s/he would not go if would not invited by the boss. In addition, one employee should talk to not desired people or pass for some occasion only to do the well behavior.
In addition, governamental burocracy has been increasing their severity in order to protect the population. For instance, if someone wants to do s/he passport, then s/he should follow a set of rules and issues which are extremely annoying.
In summary, people should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing, but they need to do for some interest or requirement in different fields, such as social, politicaland business.
Back to top Go down
Lovo

PostSubject: PEOPLE SHOULD SOMETIMES DO THINGS THEY DON’T ENJOY DOING   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 8:34 pm

Although people would like to do things that they enjoy doing all the time, I strongly believe that sometimes people should do things that they do not enjoy doing. I have several reasons to believe this. People should always do what it takes to reach their goals, make their loved ones happy and gain experience even if this means doing things they don’t enjoy to reach their final purpose.
People should always do what it takes to reach their goals, even if this means doing things they don’t enjoy. For example, when I went to college I did not like mathematics or physics but if I did not take those classes I couldn’t graduate. Was I going to give up my dream of becoming a pharmacist? Of course, I was not. Also, people who want to loose weight to feel and look better. My cousin didn’t enjoy exercising and not eating as much junk food, but the final outcome was worth it. And, she realized that sometimes you have to sacrifice a little to gain a lot.
In addition to gaining for ourselves, people should do things they don’t enjoy to make their loved ones happy. For instance, I would do anything to make my daughter happy. My daughter likes to play videogames, something that I don’t enjoy, but I do enjoy spending time with her and seeing her happy makes me happy.
And finally, sometimes doing things you don’t enjoy might give you an experience that is needed to pursue your goals, especially when people have to do things for free like working. I remember when I had to do my internship and I only wished they would pay me. However, this gave me the experience that I needed to get a better job.
In short, I believe people should sometimes do things they do not enjoy as long as this will help them achieve their goals, make their loved ones happy or gives them the necessary experience to pursue in life.
Back to top Go down
rss

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 5:56 pm

Life is not only fun and pleasure every time.Sometimes we need to do things that are difficult or boring to us, but that are important. Thus, I support the idea that sometimes people should do things they do not enjoy doing, especially for two reasons.

First, nowadays the cost of life is increasing more and more and we cannot work only with the things that we really like to do. For instance, I know a couple of people that have a diploma but they have to get an extra job to earn more money. For example, a friend of mine that is an engineer wants to travel with his family, thus he is working during the nights at a restaurant.He does not like that job, but he need it.

Second, not everything that is vital is pleasurable. For instance, the World Health Organization states that regular physical activity is necessary to avoid several diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis, obesity, etc. However, some people do not follow this important advice because they argue that they do not enjoy doing exercise. Moreover, doctors sometimes recommend people to do some things that they do not like doing; however, they are essential for being healthy. For example, my grandfather is a diabetic person and because of this, the doctor advised him to not eat any food with sugar anymore. This recommendation was one of the most difficult things to him, however follow it may be the price of his life.

In conclusion, I believe that maturity is associated with a set of changes and hard decisions in life.One of them is that not everything that we need to do it will be necessarily the things that we like to do. In addition, when we have goals to reach, we have to fight for them facing situations that are difficult, however they will be forgattable one day.

Last edited by on Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Haripras

PostSubject: My answer to this independent writing task   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 8:32 pm

The argument states that the people should perform things that they do not usually enjoy doing it. In my view, I totally disagree to this statement because if we do something without any enjoyment that task will not yield required output and might create a bad name and bad impression about us. So it is not advisable to do things that we don't usually enjoy doing it.

The main reason for my view is, interest and enjoyment is the most important aspect required when doing any work. If we perform a task without any interest, which in turn gives us enjoyment in doing a work, we will definitely lack contentration while doing the task and finally the expected output will not be achieved as a result. For example, if Thomas Alva Edison performed his experiment without interest and enjoyment, he wouldn't have invented electric bulb used by everyone today. Another good example is, if the student study a subject topic in the subject without much enjoyment and interest they cannot grasp the underlying information about the topic. So interest which cultivates enjoyment is very very important while doing any task.

The another reason for my view is, if the situation demands us to do things that we don't usually enjoy doing, then there are two things that we can do to overcome such problem.
First, we can try to cultivate the interest for doing that task before start the task. Though this is very difficult but it is definitely possible to do. For example, if a student doesn't like a subject paper but if the university mandates him to pass this paper to continue his studies, then the student try to cultivate interest on this topic or try to read the paper topic by comparing it with the paper or task he most like. For example, some people will try to memorize a difficult formula in mathematics by embedding in the song they like most, so that they don't forget the formula forever.
Second, we can try to avoid doing such things and try to do things we like the most. For example, in my personal experience, I was given a module that I don't usually enjoy doing it, so I spoke to my manager of why I don't like doing it and how continue doing it will affect the overall project. Then the manager understood underlying problem and provided me a module that usually enjoy doing it with great interest.

In summary, I strongly disagree to the statement given in the topic and also explained the reason why I disagree this statement. I also provided alternate solutions that one can follow when the situation demands us to do things that we don't usually enjoy doing it.
Back to top Go down
TitaN

PostSubject: Independent essay 2/11   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 8:03 am

People have desire to become a better person. In order to become a better person, people will have to learn new skills. However, if people do only things they like, they will not challenge to do anything new. If this happens, people will not get improved. Moreover, people will need more challenges to learn new skills.
People need more challenges in their lives in order to learn new skills. If people do things only they like, they will not get to learn about what they are not good at. If people do not become a better person on what they are bad at, people will have hard time improving themselves. For example, one of my friends thought that he was really good at English. However, I recommended him to participate in programs such as Model United Nations or Mock Trial to test his ability on English. Yet, he did not listen to my recommendation and he still thought that he was good at English. One day he participated in a debate competition that our neighboring high school held. In that competition he was not able to express his idea well. As he feared to do things that he did not like, participating in English activities, he did not get improved. Therefore doing things that they like is not a good thing to do. However, this is not the only reason why I disagree with the statement.
By doing things that people do not like, they will learn how to work and restrain from the stress they get from failing. By this progress, people will learn what they are doing wrong. If people recognize what they have done wrong and try to fix them, people will be improved. For instance, I had a friend in my school who was really bad at math. However, he did not forfeit on doing math. Even though he failed all the tests, he kept wondered why he failed all the tests instead of groaning about failing. Later on, he successfully found out what he did wrong and he tried his best to fix them. As a result, he got greatest score on our mid-term exam. With his effort on finding out what he was doing wrong and trying to fix them, he finally succeeded on his math. Therefore, if people want to be improved, they will have to do things that they do not like.
Facing challenges and learning how to work and restrain from the stress people get from failing, people will become improved. However, this will happen only if people do things even though they do not like. Therefore, it is not a good idea that people should do things what they only like to do.
Back to top Go down
koala_la

PostSubject: people should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doi   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm

I totally agree with the statement that people should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing.

First of all, it only says "sometimes" and that I do agree that there are certain circumstances or situations that need us to do something that is really hard for us and that we do not really want to do.

For example, if I have a friend who I know has been cheating on his girlfriend, I may not like the idea of telling him that I think what he is doing is wrong. However, if i want to be a true friend to him, I should have the guts to give him a reality check and remind him of the possible consequences of his actions. Furthermore, he may not like what I would tell him or he may get mad at me for saying that, but at least I did the right thing and most of the time, doing the right thing is not really easy.

Another example is that I may not enjoy doing schoolwork but I know that I still have to do it if I want to have a bright future. I may not enjoy the hard work now but I know that everything will pay off once I graduate and find good jobs because I had good school records.

Maybe I could be in a job that I totally do not enjoy and believe in. Even then, if that is the only good paying job available for me and I need to feed my family, I would still do it even if I don't enjoy it.

The only situation where I can find myself not doing something that is not enjoyable for me is when someone is making me do something that is totally contradictory to my beliefs and values such as making personal favors that would be unfair to other people. Other than this, I think there are lots of circumstances that call on us to have the courage to do things that are not fun but should still be done. After all, doing the right thing is almost always never easy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free iBT independent writing task submission   Free iBT independent writing task submission - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Free iBT independent writing task submission
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next